The South Window
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
St John the Evangelist's Church, Chelford lies to the southeast of the village of Chelford, Cheshire, England. The church has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Macclesfield and the deanery of Knutsford.
Its benefice is combined with that of St Peter, Lower Withington
The original church on the site was probably a medieval timber-framed chapel. This was replaced in 1774–76 with a church that was little more than a "plain brick box with slightly pointed windows". The west tower was added in 1840, and the chancel was extended in 1902
The church is constructed in brick with stone dressings and has a slate roof. Its plan consists of a four- bay nave with a west gallery, a two-bay chancel and a west tower with a recessed spire. The tower is in three stages with diagonal buttresses and an embattled parapet . The spire is octagonal, covered with diamond-shaped slates and crowned by a weather vane . The west front of the tower has an arched doorway and a clock face
In the church are 18th-century box pews. The gallery has been boxed in and converted into a meeting room. The walls contain paintings in Art Nouveau style. Also in Art Nouveau style are the pulpit, the altar rails and the choir stalls which were designed by Percy Worthington and which date from 1903. The chancel has a stone-mosaic floor. The stained glass includes war memorials of 1920 and 1921, designed by J. H. Dearle, and made by Morris & Co. In the porch is a memorial window of 2009 by Samantha Land. In the church is a painted memorial board dated 1654 inscribed with a poem. The ring is of six bells dated 1885 by Mears and Stainbank of the Whitechapel Bell Foundry
ST PETER’S CHURCH LOWER WITHINGTON
The Iron Building known as St Peter’s Church Lower Withington stands at the junction of Longshoot Road, Farm Lane and Salters Lane. It was granted its licence for ‘The Performance of Divine Service’ on 21st January, 1892. Prior to this time residents had worshipped in the Church School(closed in 1969 and now a private house).
The building was erected in 1891 on land which at that time belonged to the Egerton Leigh family who lived at Jodrell Hall now Terra Nova School. The building was purchased as a kit, delivered by rail to Chelford station, collected by Challinors of Goostrey , conveyed to its site in Lower Withington by horse and cart and erected by local labour.
Originally St Peter’s was part of the Parish of Prestbury but records show that in November1915 it was transferred to the nearer Parish of Chelford with (Old)Withington and this remains the position to the present day.
The church still retains its corrugated iron exterior and roof and its simple interior includes a vestry which was added on at a later date.. To begin with the interior seating consisted of rush chairs, illumination was by oil lamp and heating was supplied by a coke stove. In the late 1930’s early 1940’s electric lighting was installed and by the late 1950’s traditional pews had replaced the rush chairs and electric heaters the old coke stove.
Outside there is no graveyard but situated on the eastern boundary is the Village War Memorial commemorating those who fell in the Great War of 1914-1918.
Mission Churches/Tin Tabernacles such as the one in Lower Withington are no longer commonplace but St Peter’s remains in regular weekly use to the present day.
The Memorial Window
St Johns from the Air